Amid the High Heat, Extended Heat Wave Forecast; PSE&G Reminds Customers to Prepare and Offers Safety and Savings Tips
During extreme heat conditions, customers should:
· Seek out air-conditioned spaces, if possible, if homes become too warm.
· Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water. Avoid drinks with caffeine or alcohol.
· Avoid wearing dark colors because they absorb the sun’s rays.
· Never leave children or pets alone in enclosed vehicles.
· Avoid strenuous exercise during the hottest part of the day, which is between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
Customers can save money when you:
· Raise the setting to the highest comfortable temperature. You can save 3 to 5% on air conditioning costs for each
degree you raise the temperature. We recommend 78 degrees.
· If you have central air, close doors and vents to unused rooms to reduce the area your system must cool, so your
system does not have to work as hard.
· Use ceiling and other fans to provide additional cooling and better circulation.
· Seal holes and cracks around doors and windows with caulk or weather-stripping to keep cool air in and
warm air out.
· Operate appliances in the morning or evening when it is cooler outside.